The New Decay

for those who love myusik

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On The Decay

It's been a while since I've done something like this so ...

Listening to ...

I've already professed my love for the new Burial record on here so need to rehash it, but there has yet to be a day since its release that I haven't heard at least part of that record.


The Luyas - Faker Death (Pome Records)
Former S.S. Cardiacs front women Jess Stein puts together a new band consisting of guitar, drums and Euphonium. As much as I loved the last S.S. Cardiacs album (and prefer the band name) there is a maturity apparent in Faker Death that was laking at times with the Cardiacs. It's more focused and more interesting that Stein's previous effortts as we get the pop sensibilities of the Cardiacs coupled with occasional walls of sound that interrupt the otherwise straight up pop songs. The end result is that Faker Death is a wonderful debut album from a band that appears to have a lot of promise.


Betty Davis - Betty Davis (Light in the Attic, 1973 Reissue)
Betty Davis is many things. She's my aunt. She's an Academy Award winning actress. She's the subject of a cheesy song about her eyes. Most importantly (well except for maybe being my Aunt) she is one of the meanest and funky sounding vocalists from the past 40 years. "Stepping in Her I Miller Shoes" will make even the most stubborn indie-rocker get up and dance.


808 State - Ninety (ZZT, 1989)
Influencing the likes of Prefuse 73, Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, and Burial, 808 State's Rave/IDM classic Ninety is a beautiful listen that serves as a reminder that the late 80s were not a complete musical wasteland. Anybody who has an appreciation for modern day electronic artists needs to hear this album.

There's more I could include today (Cecil Taylor, Chris and Cosey, Prefuse 73 etc...) but I should probably stop here. I've submitted my year-end picks to !Earshot, which has got me started on the whole "Year End Lists" thing earlier than usual. My goal is to have a top 10 and bottom 10 list focusing on album artwork this year in addition to the usual top 10 albums and songs lists. Any suggestions on that front would be greatly appreciated (right now Sunset Rubdown is winning for worst cover for an album that's actually really good).

Until next time...

1 Comments:

  • At 10:45 PM , Blogger feeblethemighty said...

    Man, I actually bought that Luyas album at their CD release party in Montreal, but it was destroyed when my ceiling collapsed. So, I only got to listen to it once. Good show though.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home