The New Decay

for those who love myusik

Thursday, October 18, 2007

More Perri, The Death of Indie Rock, Burial, and Van Halen Sucking

Links! Links! Links!

Zoilus chimes in on the beauty that is Sandro Perri's Tiny Mirrors today (and gives some love to the new Sunset Rubdown as well, which is a bit of a turnaround for him). It really is a great record. I don't know if I should say more on that though.

Sasha Frere Jones is stirring things up with a recent article for the New Yorker. It's well written, and I think his critique of so-called 'indie-rock' artists like The Arcade Fire (you could also add tons more; Battles, The National, CYHSY, Modest Mouse, The Shins, Spoon etc...) is dead on. However, I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the infusion of noise and dub elements of other acts that fall under the indie banner as well (Burial, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Xiu Xiu, Wolf Eyes, Sun O))), etc...), and how that has reinserted artistic integrity back into indie culture. Backlash here and here.

K-Punk, is eagerly anticipating the release of the new Burial album. With quotes like this from the artist himself, I have to say I am quite excited about this as well;

'The sound that I’m focused on is more, you know, when you come out of a club and there’s that echo in your head of the music you just heard…I love that music, but I can’t make that club sort of stuff…but I can try and make the afterglow of that music.'

And finally Kevin Scott (of the Electric Muse, and Electric Tongue) posted this earlier, and it's so awesome I have to share. It's Van Halen playing 'Jump' recently with the keyboard accidentally tuned 1.5 semitones sharp. It would convert any Anthony Braxton fan instantly.

Until next time ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home