The New Decay

for those who love myusik

Friday, August 31, 2007

Can't Wait For September

September is easily my favorite month of the year. Not only does it consist of my birthday, it also signifies the beginning of the record industries busiest season. With September comes crap-loads of new releases that seek to hit everyones wish-list come Christmas time. Some of these new releases that I've particularly enjoyed as of late are;

M.I.A. - Kala
Everyones favorite accused terrorist follows up one of best pop records in years (2005's Arular) with another inspired collection of songs. Kala is much darker, subtle and tribal than her previous (which has resulted in some calling this a bit of a disappointment). Unlike Arular, which consisted of one awesome upbeat pop song after the next, the best moments on Kala come at its most softest. She has really slowed things down on this one and the results are quite satisfying.

Okkervil River - The Stage Names
More of a rock record than Black Sheep Boy but still a good companion to the bands last release. The last track which uses the traditional folk tune 'Sloop John B' is particularly enjoyable.

The Lonely Hunters - The Chaste are Chased
This Calgary-via-Winnipeg group has put out a charming and captivating debut record. It reeks of the bands interest in history (ie. 'Napoleon in Moscow'), English folk-tunes, and straight up pop. Keep an eye out for this band in the future.

Some unreleased stuff that I've heard already and can vouch for are;
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup (surprisingly better than last years Gulag record. I've been listening to this one on repeat for days, and still can't get enough of it)
The Weakerthans - The Reunion Tour (I can't the last time I got excited about the Weakerthans, but this new record sounds great)
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala

I'll be playing all of these on my show today so make sure you tune in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home