The New Decay

for those who love myusik

Thursday, April 27, 2006


AHHHH BLOGGING MAKES ME SICK

Well not really actually. That's more of an excuse than anything else. I promise to actually start writing here more regularly from now on. Maybe I'll start some sort of weekly gig guide, or something music bloggers are supposed to do.

Anyways, my show. I havn't thought much about this weeks show, but I will be playing some more stuff from the 'postpunk' era from 1977-1984. Why you ask? Well I've been completely mesmerised by Simon Reynolds book Rip it Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1977-1984. He takes a very Messianic approach to music writting showing how bands like Pere Ubu, Devo, Gang of Four or the Slits took the punk tendancies of the late 70s, tore them apart and then took them in whole new (and usually more interesting) directions. You haven't checked out Reynolds blog out yet, it's a must. Especially his thoughts on Broken Social Scene and how they signify how 'indie rock' is transforming into another humanistic approach to stress relief (he talks about how BSS always have to have a message therapist on tour with them). He also points to how they illustrate how 'indie rock' is quickly becoming more interested in style than substance. Anyways, be sure to check it out.

Besides reading Simon's book, I've been spending copious amounts of time watching playoff hockey, especially the Oilers-Red Wings series. Growing up in Edmonton, I can hardly think of anything else when the Oilers are in the playoffs. I'm in a playoff pool with some friends of mine and are sucking it up big time. You can see our results here as my friend Brent (aka super crazy Linux guy) created a webpage keeping track of our results. I'm not concerned with my results thus far. I've always been a late charger. Frickin Joe Thorton is screwing me over!

Anyways, I'll have some thoughts on Sunset Rubdown's latest album soon, in anticipation of their upcoming show at the Collective with one of my favorite bands Frog Eyes. Until next time.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger jonathan said...

    I'd be interested in trying out some 'message therapy'.

    Go Oilers.

     
  • At 4:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
    »

     
  • At 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home